Under the direction of the Collection Counter Coordinator, the Collection Counter assists in the timely and accurate counting of weekly (Monday morning) and special collections for the parish. The team must consist of at least three people. Confidentiality and discretion is imperative to the safety and security of the collection counters, staff and the parish.
- Opens, sorts, and counts all weekly collection donations (cash and cheques) according to established procedures.
- Separates church envelopes from loose cheques and cash; sorts and separate all offerings according to category (offertory, building fund, Share Life, etc.).
- Count and record the cash and cheques utilizing the tally sheet for both loose and envelope users; Count and roll loose coins.
- Ensures the amounts noted on the face of the envelope agree with the contents by indicating an appropriate check mark and always indicating the amount when the donor has not noted it.
- Makes every effort to ensure accuracy in the counting and recording donation amount on envelope.
- Sums up all sheets for a total mass collection and complete the bank deposit form.
- Ensures that the deposit is properly secured.
- Advises the team leader or the coordinator if unable to make scheduled counting shift.
- Maintains strict confidentiality concerning all finances, information and matters related to this ministry.
If a member of St. Joseph Parish wishes to become a Collection Counter, they must fulfill these criteria:
- Baptized and registered in this parish, and in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- Have completed the process of volunteer screening, and signed the Model Code of Conduct form, in order to assist in developing and implementing uniform diocesan guidelines for appropriate behaviour for all religious and lay persons involved in ministries and other activities.
To register, please contact Fe Badajos, our Parish Secretary at 403-289-2591.