Who Can Serve as a Psalmist?
Psalmist’s goal is not to deliver a musical performance but to lead and sustain the congregation in sung prayer. Psalmists are enhancing the Word of God through song and encouraging full, conscious, and active participation from the people assembled. Spiritual and musical preparations are essential to fulfill this ministry effectively. Prior to acting as a psalmist, consider whether you are:
- technically and spiritually ready to act in this role
- comfortable and poised leading a large group of people in singing
- willing to learn and practice music in advance
- open to coaching and critique, and
- familiar with the music ministry of your parish.
If a member of St. Joseph Parish wishes to become a Lector, they must fulfill certain criteria before they are commissioned:
- Baptized and registered in this parish, and in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- Have completed the process of volunteer screening, and signed the Model Code of Conduct form, in order to assist in developing and implementing uniform diocesan guidelines for appropriate behaviour for all religious and lay persons involved in ministries and other activities.
- Availability to attend yearly lector workshop/training (usually held in September).
To register, please contact the cantor coordinator: email@example.com
or the Parish Office at 403-289-2591