In the journey of Christian Initiation, Catechists have an indispensable role. They enable the faith of inquirers to resonate more and more deeply in their lives as they approach the sacraments of life in Christ. This direct formational reference to both the experience of evangelization and that of the sacraments is what distinguishes the work of Catechumenal Catechists from other catechetical roles. Under the direction of the RCIA Coordinator, RCIA Catechumenal Catechists seek for the catechumens not just an acquaintance with doctrine and precepts, but also the experience of an “apprenticeship” in the whole of Christian life. They take an active part in the rites and celebration of the Word that mark the RCIA process.
- Prepares adults for the sacraments of Christian Initiation.
- Assists the RCIA Coordinator by preparing sessions.
- Is present to deliver sessions based on the prepared materials proper to the liturgical year and the period of formation.
- Is available to communicate with those seeking Christian Initiation.
- Liaise with the RCIA Coordinator on an ongoing basis.
- Attends all liturgical celebrations and rites of the Christian Initiation process.
- Has a good understanding of the Catholic tradition and is able to share it in the context of adult faith development, especially in relation to the liturgy, prayer, scripture, doctrine, mission, and charitable works.
- Is familiar with the RCIA ritual text and notes.
- Is open to the questions and inquiries of all session participants.
- Is available for meetings and training.
If a member of St. Joseph Parish wishes to become an RCIA Catechist, they must fulfill certain criteria before they are commissioned:
- Baptized and registered in this parish, and in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- Have completed the process of volunteer screening, and signed the Model Code of Conduct form, in order to assist in developing and implementing uniform diocesan guidelines for appropriate behaviour for all religious and lay persons involved in ministries and other activities.
- Availability to attend catechist workshop/training as assigned.
To register as a Catechist, please contact RCIA Coordinator Greg Yates
or the Parish Office at 403-289-2591